:::
sitemap links home
Penghu Reclamation Hall img
img img About Us Guide Service Bilingual Glossary img
img img
icon HOME > About Us > Introduction
 
About Us
*
:::
icon Introduction
底圖
icon Traffic Map
底圖
*
*
*
無標題文件
::: 底圖 Introduction
無標題文件
 

Before the Visit
  Penghu Reclamation Hall was originally the official house for the head of Penghu during the Japanese colonial period, and also the residence for the Penghu County magistrate after the restoration of Taiwan. It was completed on March 10, 1935 (Showa 10), and belonged to the typical "Japanese and Western combined" type of architecture during the Japanese "Taisho-Showa" eras. The construction was solid and its courtyard was classically elegant. In 1999, the Penghu County Government, in order to effectively use the historic architectural space, renovated it according to the original architectural style of the Penghu County magistrate's residence and replanned it to become the Penghu Reclamation Hall. It has become the first stop for the general public come to experience and know Penghu's culture, and was officially opened in July 2003.

  Penghu Reclamation Hall is one of a few historic buildings with a courtyard from the Japanese colonial period in Penghu. The hall occupies an area of 2001 square meters (about 605 pings), and an indoor area of 320 squae meters (about 97 pings). the major exhibits indoors are historical and cultural relics found in Penghu and divided into eight exhibition areas. Drawing on aspects of history, immigration, traffic, village, war, development of finance, economics, culture and education, and the current situation of construction to describe, one-by-one, the historical developments of the islands, and to track Penghu's evolution through pictures, literary compositions, historical data and multimedia.

  Penghu is known to have had human activities five thousand years ago, and the Han people came here to settle down in the South Song dynasty. the ancient name of Penghu was " Penghu", which was later changed to " Penghu". It was a relay station for Han people immigrating to Taiwan. Although the area of Penghu is only 141.052 suqare kilometers, Taiwan is deeply influenced by the history of Penghu. In 1281, emperor Yuan Shizu set up a police office in Penghu, some 403 years earlier than in mainland Taiwan! Therefore, if you want to understand the development history of Taiwan, and know the historical track of how Taiwan connected with the world, you must know the history of Penghu.



back top

img
img
底圖
Penghu Reclamation Hall | Address:No.30, Jhihping Rd., Magong City, Penghu County 88043, Taiwan (R.O.C.) | Telephone number:+886-6-9278952 | E-mail:Rec.phhcc@msa.hinet.net